|Date||DD 22||DD 21||DD 5YA|
Notes:Change in price is the change since the last report. Hay quoted is sourced and delivered locally, GST exclusive unless stated otherwise. It should be noted that local prices quoted may not be the cheapest available, sourcing it from another region may be more affordable, and buyers are encouraged to evaluate all options. Prices are indicative to a mid-range shedded product, and based on the best indication of market value at the time of reporting. It should be noted there is a wide variation in quality of hay, prices for a mid-range product will not reflect the weighted average of trade. Prices will naturally vary based on the product quantity and quality, buyer/seller relationship and the size of the trade.
The hay report has been commissioned by Dairy Australia to provide an independent and timely assessment of hay markets in each dairy region. This report is created using data provided by the Australian Fodder Industry Association (AFIA). It should be remembered that actual prices may vary for quality or other reasons. Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this report, Dairy Australia disclaims all liability to the fullest extent permitted by Australian law for any inadvertent errors and for any losses or damages stemming from reliance upon its content. Dairy Australia recommends all persons seek independent advice and, where appropriate, advice from a qualified advisor before making any decisions about changes to business strategy.
- Little to no rainfall across the region this week with some sunny days giving the growers a chance to get back on to the paddocks. Farmers are reporting yearly annual rainfall being reached by the first week in June, with more expected as winter sets in.
- Sorghum harvesting remains sporadic as weather continues to interrupt the harvest. With approx. 80% of the harvest complete, the remaining 20% is expected to be downgraded.
- Due to the wet and unpredictable weather conditions some growers have chosen to sow shorter season crops such as barley or chickpeas.
- High yield wheat varieties have been popular. Growers are being more selective when matching varieties to available paddocks due to the underlying wet soil. The sowing season has been extended beyond usual timeframes.
- Mungbean harvest is complete with a forecast for substantial quality issues and seed spillage. Some crops have been left unharvested as quality will be too low to justify harvester damage to paddocks.
- Mouse numbers are being reported, especially where sowing has not commenced or has been halted due to the underlying saturation of the soil. https://grdc.com.au/resources-and-publications/resources/mouse-management.
- Fuel, fertiliser, chemicals and freight costs continue to be a concern for most in the region, as well as a lack of contractors hampering transport options to deliver to farm.
- Hay enquires have steadied with good interest in vetch hay as well as high quality cereal and clover hay. A shortage of hay is forecast this year due to the switch to grain and oilseeds and the impact of weather events on the ability of growers to plant their usual hectares.
- No change to pricing this week.
- Cereal hay: +/-0 ($255 to $275/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Lucerne hay: +/-0 ($380 to $420/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Straw: +/-0 ($70 to $90/t). Prices remain steady this week.
- Pasture hay: +/-0 ($220 to $250/t) Prices remain steady this week.
- Please note: Unless stated otherwise, prices are per tonne, sourced and delivered locally. The price range indicated is for feeds of varying quality with the price range generally indicative of quality of feed. We recommend feed testing and viewing of fodder before purchase to be sure of the quality of feed.