Dairy Sector Food Waste Action Plan
Food waste is a global challenge that has environmental, economic and social impacts, costing the Australian economy around $36.6 billion each year.
With the support of the Circular Economy Business Innovation Centre, Dairy Australia is partnering with Stop Food Waste Australia and the Australian Dairy Products Federation, along with input from the Dairy Manufacturers Sustainability Council to develop a Dairy Sector Food Waste Action Plan (Action Plan) that identifies, assesses, and recommends commercial and practical food waste reduction opportunities across the dairy supply chain.
The Dairy Sector Food Waste Action Plan will support the Australian dairy industry’s public commitment to halve food waste in Victoria and nationally by 2030.
Dairy farmers, dairy manufacturers, distributors, retailers and related industries will have input into the new plan.
The action plan will detail how the industry can reduce loss and waste, save costs, improve efficiencies, and reduce the environmental impacts associated with food waste.
The Action Plan will support the Australian dairy industry’s commitment to halve food waste in Victoria and nationally by 2030, and will be completed by August 2022.
The project aims to:
- develop a practical and commercially realistic Action Plan to support the Australian dairy industry's public commitment to halving food waste by 2030
- increase transparency along the dairy supply chain with respect to food waste and assist decision making to promote efficiency, profitability and sustainability
- promote cross-industry collaboration to improve the environmental footprint of the Australian dairy industry.
The Dairy Sector Food Waste Action Plan is:
- delivered with funding from the Circular Economy Business Innovation Centre - Recycling Victoria Business Support Fund
- delivered in partnership with the Australian Dairy Products Federation and Stop Food Waste Australia
- delivered with support from the Dairy Manufacturers Sustainability Council
For further information or to express interest in being part of the project, please contact: